How do you heal a broken heart? You can survive after a breakup.
For starters, it’s your choice to survive. You also can choose to either stay in your grief or take steps to move on, even if you can only take baby steps at first.
If you wonder how to go on living despite your pain, try following these steps. See also the helpful video below.
7 steps to help you live after heartbreak:
1. Know that grief is a process. Dr. Phil says on DrPhil.com:
“Grief is a process to go through, not a destination in which to wallow. In a process, you keep putting one foot in front of the other, and each little step is part of your healing.”
2. Do not worry about trying to be a friend to your ex; at least, not right now. Try to accept that the relationship is over. When you can do this, you will be better able to move on.
3. Stop the self-blame. Be a better friend to yourself! After all, if you were honest, you would have to admit that there are lots of reasons why this relationship ended. So stop pointing the finger at yourself and accept that God has a new direction for you.
4. Express your feelings to those closest to you. But at some point, choose to forgive your ex’s offenses so you can move toward healing your emotional pain.
5. Don’t harass your ex with things like hang-ups or drive-bys. Such behavior will continue to pull you into the pain game when you need to push past it.
6. Learn to trust and love again. You can, with time and God’s grace. Don’t let this experience keep you from finding the love of your life.
7. Pray this healing prayer:
God, I give my pain, grief, bitterness, as well as the offense I am carrying against my ex to you. I do this, not because __________ deserves to be free of the pain of our break-up, but because I do. I choose to forgive and to let go, not through my power, but through your power. I ask for you to break any ungodly soul ties between my ex and I also ask that you heal my broken heart. I tell the spirit of grief to go, and I replace that grief with God’s peace that passes understanding.
Lord, give me clarity, peace, truth, and a fresh start.
In Jesus’s name,
Fresh from YouTube, here are more steps to survive heartbreak.